All products recommended by Engadget are selected by our editorial team, independent from our parent company. Some of our stories contain affiliate links. If you purchase something through one of these links, we may earn an affiliate commission. All prices are correct at time of publication.
Smartphones may mean you never have to ask for directions, but it can still be a pain to communicate exactly where you are at any given time to friends and family trying to find you. iPhone users can share their current location through Messages, Apple Maps, Google Maps, and Apple’s Find My app. While Apple makes it easy to share locations with other iPhone users, there are a few ways to send your location to someone using an Android device as well. In the steps below, we’ve covered four different methods, along with a way to share from your Mac and how to stop sharing your location when you need to.
Share your location with Messages
This is perhaps the easiest method, as you probably already text the person you want to share your location with. Follow these steps to text someone exactly where you are:
1. Open a conversation in Messages and tap the recipient’s name/picture at the top of the screen.
2. Tap Send my current location.
3. A map thumbnail of your location will immediately appear in your conversation.
If your recipient has a iPhone and they tap the map, an info screen opens with an option to get directions via Apple Maps. If your recipient doesn’t have an iPhone, they’ll receive an Apple Maps link that will open in their browser.
If you want to share your location for a longer period of time:
1. Tap your recipient’s name/picture in your Messages conversation.
2. Tap Share My Location.
3. Choose Share for one hour, Share until the end of the day, or Share indefinitely (this will remain active until you turn off sharing).
4. They will receive a notification that you are sharing your location with them and you will be added to their Find My app.
Please note that this only works with other iPhone users.
How to quickly share your home address in Messages
If you have saved your address under your own contact, you can send your home address via Messages by typing the words “my address is”. can tap to open their default map app.
How to share your location with the Find My app
Find My allows you to locate your Apple devices and other iPhone users. The app is a combination of two former Apple offerings, Find My iPhone and Find My Friends. As you might expect, this also only works with other iPhone users.
- Tap the Find My app from your home screen.
At the bottom left, tap People.
Tap the + symbol at the top of the contacts list.
Select Share my location in the pop-up window.
Enter the name of the person you want to share your location with. Note that only your contacts with iPhones or email addresses will appear.
6. Tap the contact’s name and tap Send. Select whether you want to share for an hour, the rest of the day, or indefinitely until you turn off location sharing.
7. You will receive a pop-up stating that you have started sharing your location and your recipient will receive a notification that you have shared your location with them and your details will appear in their Find My app.
A note about sharing satellite locations
Currently all iPhone 14 models have the ability to both send messages to emergency services and share your location when you are outside mobile network coverage areas. That means you can send your location through the Find My app even when you’re off the network. You can read more about the limitations and other factors in Apple’s press release.
How to share your location with Family Sharing
Share with family is a service from Apple that lets you share things like subscriptions, media purchases, and photo albums with up to five people in your family. This is also another way to let your family know where you are.
- Go to Settings, then tap your Apple ID, iCloud+, Media & Purchases button at the top.
Tap Family Sharing.
Choose the friends or relatives you want to use Family Sharing with from the list (note that Family sharing only works with other iPhones).
Tap the blue arrow to send. Your recipients will receive an SMS invitation to join Family Sharing.
5. Once you’re sharing with someone, you can turn on Location Sharing at the bottom of the Family Sharing menu (Settings > Apple ID > Family Sharing).
6. Tap Share Location at the bottom of the screen.
7. You will see an information panel about Family Sharing and your location. Tap Share location.
8. The next time you tap “Location Sharing” in the “Family Sharing” menu, you will be taken to a screen where you can turn “Location Sharing” on and off.
9. People connected to you through Family Sharing (provided you have enabled location sharing) can see you in the Find My app and in your profile panel in Messages.
How to share your location with Google Maps
You can also share your whereabouts directly from the apps many people use for navigation. If you want to send a location via Google Maps, it should be you logged in with your Google account within the Maps app. Once logged in, follow these steps to start sharing locations:
- Open the Google Maps app on your iPhone.
Tap your account picture in the top right corner.
Tap Share location.
You will see a location sharing information panel. Tap the Share location button.
5. From here you can choose to share with your contacts from Google by selecting a duration and the icon of the person you want to share with. Your recipient will receive a Google Maps notification (if Google Maps is installed and notifications are enabled for that app). They will also receive an email with a link to view your location on Google Maps.
6. You can also tap More options under your contacts to share your location via a link.
7. You will see a pop-up asking if you want to share with a link. Tap Share.
8. Choose from the suggested contacts (the small icon at the bottom right of each contact’s image indicates which method will be used to send the link). Or select an app, such as Messages or Gmail, to open those apps and enter your contact’s information.
9. Your contact will receive a link via your chosen method. When they tap the link, they go to the Google Maps app (if they have it installed) or to Google Maps in the browser.
How to share your location with Apple Maps
If you prefer to use Apple Maps for navigation, here’s how you can use the app to send your location information:
- Open Apple Maps
Tap the arrow icon to center the map on your current location.
Drag up on the panel in the bottom half of the screen.
Scroll down to Share my location and tap.
Choose the person you want to share your location with from the suggestion menu, or choose an app, such as Messages or Mail. You can add a comment if you wish and hit the blue send arrow.
6. If you choose to send via Messages, your recipient will receive a map thumbnail of your location. Tapping that opens their Apple Maps app. If they don’t have Apple Maps, your location will open with Apple Maps in their browser.
How to share your location with a Mac
- Click Launchpad from the Dock.
Open the Find My app.
Click Share My Location in the lower left corner.
Type the name of the person you want to share with. Like the Find My app on an iPhone, the Find My app on a Mac can only share your location with other Apple devices.
5. Your recipient will receive a notification that you have shared your location with them and your information will appear in the Find My app.
Troubleshoot location sharing issues
If you’re having trouble sharing your location, make sure Location Services is turned on for the app you want to use.
- Go to Settings.
Tap Privacy and Security.
Tap Location services.
Make sure Location Services is turned on.
Make sure the app you want to use is set to While Using.
How to stop sharing your location
If you’ve been sharing your location via Find My, Family Sharing, or Google Maps for a while, you can stop sharing at any time. If you’ve shared a one-time link to your location, whether through Messages, Apple Maps, or the link option in Google Maps, you can’t undo that action, just as you can’t undo sending a text or email.
Through Find My: Open the Find My app and tap the name of the person you want to stop sharing with. Drag up on their info panel and tap Stop sharing my location.
Through Family Sharing: Access Family Sharing by opening Settings and tapping your Apple ID panel at the top of the Settings menu. Tap Family Sharing, then tap Location Sharing and turn off Auto Location Sharing.
Through Google Maps: Open the Google Maps app and tap your profile picture at the top right. Tap Share location. You’ll see a list of people you’ve shared with. Tap the person you want to stop sharing with, then tap the Stop button at the bottom of the screen.